- 09:30 – 12:45: Index or Footnote? How to ensure that libraries power the information society
- 13:45 – 17:15: I Want It Now! Creators addressing consumers’ needs in the digital age
The events will be hosted by Marietje Schaake MEP, and organised by C4C (C4C), in cooperation with the European Consumers’ Organisation (BEUC), Consumers International (CI), the European Bureau of Library Information and Documentation Associations (EBLIDA), the Electronic Information For Libraries (eIFL), the International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions (IFLA), and Informations Sans Frontières (ISF).
Expect to ‘think differently’ about copyright – and understand why it matters to everyone:
- No legal expertise required! Both events will be ‘jargon-free’, non-legalistic discussions of the practical, rather than a dry debate about the law of copyright.
- Panelists include internationally esteemed experts and policymakers and creators themselves, including a multi-platinum-selling featured performer, composer, and record producer.
- Expect the unexpected: consumers, creators and rightsholders will explore three provocative topics via an Oxford Union-style debate of the ‘pro’ and ‘con’ side of each topic – with audience participation, while libraries help attendees understand the link between European solutions and international action in Geneva.
- Specific, practical, real-world solutions that work for libraries, consumers, and creators will be presented and explored with the audience.
- And lastly, 50% of each event will be audience participation, to ensure that all views are heard and panelists address your concerns.
Click here for a detailed outline of the two events. Through a series of interactive debates focussed on the practical needs of those who create, distribute, preserve and access works in the digital age participants should get a better understanding of how copyright can meet everyone’s needs better. If you are interested in attending either one or both of these events, please respond to rsvp@https://coalition4creativity.org.