C4C is proud to welcome a new signatory. On May 29th 2013, the Fundacja Nowoczesna Polska (Modern Poland Foundation) signed on to our mission of sensible copyright policy in service of creativity, innovation, education, competitiveness and access to culture.
Fundacja Nowoczesna Polska, which represents the general public and culture users, believes that users’ rights are the foundation of democracy and the public domain should be a rule to which information monopolies are an exception. Freedom of communication is only possible when citizens use free tools to control the flow of information, have media and information competences and have access to free knowledge. Therefore the Foundation:
- builds and shares open educational resources and teach media and information competences;
- develops free digitalization technologies and create free readings repository; and,
- educates culture users on their rights and influence public policies in the field of exclusive rights.
Jarosław Lipszyc, President of Fundacja Nowoczesna Polska, remarks that “control of communication, supervision, loss of privacy, privatization of information and of interpersonal communication – we currently observe these negative phenomena and it seems that all of them are rooted in the copyright system”, adding that “we need to talk about it if we want to be free”. It is worth nothing that the Foundation recently announced the second edition of their Future of Copyright Contest. This is a contest for the best work about the future of copyright. The idea is simple:
- You set the prize by supporting this project.
- People submit their works for the contest. The deadline is 1st July 2013.
- Independent jury consisting of Mike Linksvayer (part-time Senior Fellow at Creative Commons), Joe McNamee (Executive Director of EDRi) and Jérémie Zimmermann (spokesperson and co-founder of the La Quadrature du Net) and Jarosław Lipszyc (Modern Poland Foundation, contest organizer) chooses the winner. The decision will be announced on 24th July 2013.
- The winner gets the prize. Society gets a number of fresh proposals that will help shaping up the copyright system of tomorrow.
C4C welcomes its new signatory and looks forward to a strong collaboration at both national and European levels. For more information, please don’t hesitate to contact Caroline De Cock, Coordinator of the C4C Coalition, at +32 (474) 840515 or Marta Skotnicka, Project Coordinator at Fundacja Nowoczesna Polska.